Hello! I am a PhD student in the Machine Learning department at Carnegie Mellon University where I am especially fortunate to be advised by Aditi Raghunathan.
I’m interested in understanding how and what neural networks learn, especially as you scale up. I have also spent a lot of time thinking about robustness in neural networks and how we can take insights from neuroscience to improve upon machine learning. Previously, I was an undergrad at Swarthmore College, and I have spent time as a research intern at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, MIT, and Los Alamos National Laboratory, where I worked with many lovely people. Please reach out if you want to chat about anything (I do love talking about research)!
Publications and Manuscripts
- If You’ve Trained One You’ve Trained Them All: Inter-Architecture Similarity Increases With Robustness. Jones, Haydn T; Springer, Jacob M; Kenyon, Garrett T; Moore, Juston S. UAI 2022. (Oral)
- A Little Robustness Goes a Long Way: Leveraging Robust Features for Targeted Transfer Attacks. Springer, Jacob M; Mitchell, Melanie; Kenyon, Garrett T. NeurIPS 2021.
- Adversarial Perturbations Are Not So Weird: Entanglement of Robust and Non-Robust Features in Neural Network Classifiers. Springer, Jacob M; Mitchell, Melanie; Kenyon, Garrett T. 2021.
- STRATA: Building Robustness with a Simple Method for Generating Black-box Adversarial Attacks for Models of Code. Springer, Jacob M; Reinstadler, Bryn Marie; O’Reilly, Una-May. 2020. 3rd Workshop on Adversarial Learning Methods for Machine Learning and Data Mining @ KDD. 2021.
- It’s Hard for Neural Networks To Learn the Game of Life. Springer, Jacob M; Kenyon, Garrett T. 2020. International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN). 2021.
- Sparse MP4. Wang, Daniel A; Strauss, Charles MS; Springer, Jacob M; Thresher, Austin; Pritchard, Howard; Kenyon, Garrett T. IEEE Southwest Symposium on Image Analysis and Interpretation (SSIAI). 2020.
- Classifiers based on deep sparse coding architectures are robust to deep learning transferable examples. Springer, Jacob M; Strauss, Charles S; Thresher, Austin M; Kim, Edward; Kenyon, Garrett T. 2018.
- Teaching with angr: A Symbolic Execution Curriculum and CTF. Springer, Jacob M; Feng, Wu-chang. USENIX Workshop on Advances in Security Education (ASE 18). 2018.